23 October 2019

Day Six RA

Check out the story in its original Middle English!
Do Now: Share your annotations of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with your group. Each group will report back with a question or observation. 

Today's Learning Target: 
I will be able to discuss how cultural context can help me differentiate among hero's quest stories.
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can explain how Sir Gawain and the Green Knight uses the hero's quest archetype to promote values from a bygone age (ca. 1375-1400).
-I can point to the different elements of the quest in the Gawain story.

Agenda:
  1. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
  2.  What is something about the hero's quest archetype that you would like to know more about or that you do not get?
  3. Read and annotate Eudora Welty's "A Worn Path." Label where you think the call, crossing, tests, and return are in the text. Also, consider how the cultural context makes our hero (Phoenix) distinct. If the Atlantic link does not work for you: Here is a link to a pdf of "A Worn Path" 
  4. Exit ticket: what does the hero do once he/she has completed the quest?
HW: Complete the chart comparing the two heroes. Use evidence to support your answers.

For Friday (Green) / Monday (Purple): Please read the five other group essays and answer the prompts. Bring in your handwritten or typed paragraphs. I will collect them.

Green Class Essays

Purple Class Essays (social/cultural pressures group: Please share your essay with me!)


No comments:

Post a Comment