18 October 2019

Day Five RA

Can a walk in the woods qualify as a quest?
Do Now: Please read and annotate Alice Walker's "The Flowers." At the bottom of the story, make a claim about why Myop is or is not - in your opinion - a hero. Support the claim with at least one example.

Today's Learning Target: 
I will be able to describe important elements of the hero's quest archetype and describe how they apply to Alice Walker's "The Flowers."
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can distinguish among the call, the crossing, the road of trials and the return.
-I can point to parts of Alice Walker's "The Flowers" that correspond to the elements of the hero's quest.

Agenda:
  1. Alice Walker's "The Flowers"
  2.  Joseph Campbell and the Hero's Quest
  3. Connecting to the Hero's Quest
  4. Exit Ticket: What surprises you about the hero's quest archetype? -or- What is a new perspective you gained on the hero?
HW: Please complete the handout "Following the Path of the Hero" with a story or film that you think includes the elements of the hero's quest archetype. Also, begin reading the group essays and looking for connections.
Green Class

Coming Up: Read and annotate "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." Label the different parts of the quest (Call, Crossing, Tests/Trials, Return/Gift).

No comments:

Post a Comment