![]() |
| Often associated with the sun, the phoenix is a symbol of renewal or rebirth. |
Do Now: What was something unique or unexpected about "A Worn Path"?
Today's Learning Target:
I will be able to discuss how cultural context can help me differentiate among hero's quest stories.
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can explain how "A Worn Path" uses the hero's quest archetype to explore the renewal of the human spirit and the triumph of dignity over oppression and prejudice.
-I can point to the different elements of the quest in the Welty story.
Agenda:
- Welty's "A Worn Path" and Renewal
- Comparing and Contrasting Sir Gawain and Phoenix
- Read and annotate the Britannica article on "utopia" and poke around the utopian literature site for some examples of utopia in fiction
- Exit Ticket: How does "A Worn Path" explore the renewal of the human spirit and the triumph of dignity over oppression and prejudice?
Group Essay Connections Paragraphs (40 points)
After you have read all of the group essays (linked on reynolds9h.blogspot.com), you will explore connections among them. Please compose four two-to-three sentence paragraphs that respond to the prompts below. Print your responses and bring them to class Friday 10/25.
- Find the same quotation used in two or more different essays. How is it used differently?
- Pick two or more thesis statements with a point of similarity. Why do you think the topics connect?
- Find the thesis statement you disagree with most. Write a counter argument.
- If you could have been in a group other than your own, which would it be and why?

No comments:
Post a Comment