29 October 2019

Day Nine RA

Do Now: Choose one line from the Candide excerpt that best connects to an idea about utopia and one line from "Harrison Bergeron" that marks it as a dystopia.

Today's Learning Target: 

I will be able to compare and contrast utopia and dystopia and draw a conclusion based on my findings.
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can list at least three ways utopia and dystopia are similar and different.
-I can use my list of similarities and differences to explain the subtle distinctions between utopia and dystopia.

Agenda:
 
  1. Voltaire and Utopia / Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" and Dystopia
  2. Introducing the Serpent in the Garden
  3. Context for "Young Goodman Brown": Please respond to the following questions. Copy the links of any resources you use to answer the questions.
    1. Where was Nathaniel Hawthorne from? What is his family background?
    2. Why did Hawthorne add a “w” to his last name (Hathorne → Hawthorne)?
    3. What were Hawthorne’s views on his ancestors’ involvement in King Philip’s War, the Salem Witch Trials, and the Puritan persecution of Quakers?
    4. What do the terms “goodman” and “goody” mean?
    5. What is an allegory?
HW: Read and annotate Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" and prepare at least one question or inference you would like to share during a Socratic seminar on the story (and on archetypes in general).


No comments:

Post a Comment