25 October 2019

Day Eight RA


Do Now: Please take a few minutes to read the utopia article (on yesterday's post) and scroll through the example texts. Talk to a neighbor about one of the works from the utopia entry and/or literature site that you were either intrigued by or already know well.

Today's Learning Target: 
I will be able to describe elements of the utopia archetype and distinguish it from the garden archetype.
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can explain utopia is both similar to and different from the garden archetype.
-I can apply what I've learned about elements of utopia to a utopian/dystopian work I already know.

Agenda:
  1. Introducing Utopia 
  2. Distinguishing between Utopia and the Garden
  3. Some examples of Utopia and Dystopia
  4. Exit Ticket: Explain one key difference between the garden and utopia.
HW: Read and annotate two stories: the "El Dorado" excerpt from Voltaire's Candide and Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron." Look for elements from our notes that suggest El Dorado is a conventional (i.e., typical) Utopia and that the world of "Harrison Bergeron" is a dystopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment