27 January 2020

Day 1 ROMEO AND JULIET (R&J)

Do Now: Please look over the lines on the board. Do you recognize them? What do they say to you?

Today's Learning Target(s): 

I will be able to apply reading strategies for sonnets to improve my understanding of Shakespeare's writing.
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can list the criteria for a Shakespearean sonnet and explain how at least one of them can help a reader better understand the sonnet.
-I can discuss which strategies for reading the sonnet might also prove helpful when reading Romeo and Juliet.

Agenda:
  1. So long, Dickens...hello, Shakespeare (revisiting the classics)
  2. Shakespeare and sonnets
  3. Some reading strategies
  4. Writing your own sonnet
  5. Exit Ticket: What is one thing you hope to learn from our Romeo and Juliet unit?
HW: Hand copy another sonnet by Shakespeare and annotate it.

For Friday: Draft a sonnet of your own! You needn't follow all of the rules, but do attempt a poem with fourteen lines that follows the rhyme scheme ABAB CDCD EFEF GG.

No comments:

Post a Comment